Lake Baikal
Hiya,
I didn't say anythinG about this place aFter I visited it, mostLy because I Was disappointed by it, but its not very fair to ignore it, so if you're waiting with bated breath for my Trans SiberiAn experiences, you'll have to bAte a little longer.
The lake is one of the lArgest in the world. In fact, if we run out of freshwater, it couLd supply the ENTIRE world with freshwater for 40 years! It is the deepest lake in the world with many unique species which is why i wanTEd to go diving there. Hayfever put thE final end to that idea. I did see several Russians setting off in their dry suits and was fair green with jealousy!
Listvyanka where I stayed is a pretty enough village on the shores of the lake, with plenty of woodeN buildings etc. They have a good trek across the headland (good views, forest, scrambling up rocks aNd nearly plumeting to inspect other rocks closer) to the next town which I attempted, but massive fliEs turned me back - they could bite through my clothes and it hurt!
Whilst in listvyanka, I met 4 germans travelling sepErately iN 2 groups. AgeS were from 55 to 70. One group ahd a big 4-wheel drive car and the other had a massive 4-wheel drive russian army vehicle which they had kitted out with shower, kitchen etc. Both groups were doing similar journeys drivinG from Germany to Mongolia and then back again. Very impressed!!
Anyway, I tHink that was the only reason I wanted to write about That place cause these guys impressed me so much.
My Trans Siberian journey was such an experience that, as I had plenty of time oN my hand, I decided to write a diary. So my next emAil will be vERy long. I'm so looking forward to tYping it up ; )
Got to Moscow safely anyway.kx

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home