Going to Flores
Hello all,
I\'ve been trying to email you for the last few days but the shops been shut or the line down or #$)*($&! so I had to come to Mataram - just to email you! Now that is dedication! THe reason why is that Reefseekers on Gili Air is closing down, in fact, it's closed. Last course finished, last dive over, staff gone - quite sad. Incidentally my last course was done in French. Rather bad french on my part whilst my students were fluent (ha ha). Actually it was more franglais than french but I impressed myself. SPoke more frnech than I think I have ever done! It's not too bad. You use the same phrases over and over again and I had a french dive manual to help me put sentences together and for the french terms.
Anyway, so what's happening to me? I'm going to Flores (island further north in Indonesia) and am leaving tomorrow. Reason for mad obsession with internet is that there is NONE on flores. APparently the first connection will be in soon, but soon in Indonesian can mean anything. Was a bit nervouse about going - new place (again - I came here for a break!), diving is awesome but challenging.
Actually quite glad to be going to flores - didn't like Gili AIr that much anyway. The fishing thing really put me off. They've started on all the reefs now, this is despite the fact that the dive centres pay them money each month to not use the reefs. A friend of mine went to Gili islands a few years ago and said they were lovely. WOnder what she would say now. THink reefseekers shutting is a bit of a shock to the other businesses, it doesn't signal a huge sign of hope for the island (tourism wise), but that's not why they're closing - although it certainly gave them another reason to.
I was told 3 or 4 days ago that I was going,plus all ending, so not a huge amount of notice. THat's ok. Bit hectic. My glasses broke and I was panicing about them - get glasses in Flores - I don't think so! But have sorted out a pair today and Kath can send them over. Glasses are incredibly cheap over here, but as my last pair were "designer" and lasted less than a year (Ok the salt water didn't help), I restrained myself. But basically u can get Gucci lenses + frame for 100 pounds. Beat that! Didn't bring enough money over with me so couldn't leave a deposit - the guy in the shop was looking very worried - can't blame him but there was nothing I could do. I had no money for a deposit! But I know I'll pay for them so its OK. SOmetimes it does help to be westerner.
Not a lot else been happening apart from me avoiding everyone ont he island cause I don't want to talk about Reefseekers and having my favourite meals for the last time. I wont miss alot but you do get used to seeing the same fish over again and it feels personal. Especially babies. Babies usually stay in the same place until they are big and strong enough to take on the ocean so you literrally see them grow up. I found a place where a baby white-tip reef shark was living and have visited him as much as possible over the last month. Named him Michael. I'll miss him. Don't think anyone else knows he's there. Sharks are very diver shy and swim off when you get to close but with the baby you can get within 1metre as he won't leave his ledge that the swims around underneat. Sharks have to swim alot to keep oxygen flowing over their gills so they can breathe. he's truely beautiful. He might be a she, but not stressing over that one.
It was sad saying goodbye to the staff, but they're ok about it. The ones who were here the longest are probably a little more sad, but Indonesian people are pretty down to earth, so they'll find jobs elswhere and have been given great references. One of the guys really wants to learn to dive, I wanted to take him on his first dive, but that's obviously not going to happen now. Hopefully he'll be able to at another dive shop. Reefseekers aren't keen on training indonesian staff to dive - not entirely sure why.
Contact details - my new telephone number is +62 385 41443. My new address is Reefseekers, PO Box 2, Lambuan Bajo, Flores, NTT, Indonesia. I can send post and the mobile still works and I'll keep it constantly topped up with credit now.
I know I'm not on the interent very often, so you'll probably hardly notice the difference! At the very least you should hear from me again in March when my contract finishes. So, just in case, I shall wish you all a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS.
AT least, it's nearly December so I'm not quite as bad as the shops. I'm not sure if they ahve christmas cards here - have been looking for them! One of the nice things about going to Flores is that 2 new instructors are coming from England (one irish, one english - one girl, one guy), so I'll finally have some friends! Yippee! Apart from Elaine, I only really had aquaintances on Gili AIr. Not sure they'll really be enough work for 3 of us, but we shall see! The diving is giong to be amazing. One of the best sites in the world + MANTA RAYS! Can't wait.
Hope you're all well + happy and that life is going cool. Well not too cold for most of you - it's not so warm here now and a lot wetter but you can still sunbathe most days : )
Lots and lots of love,
kathryn xxxx

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home